Thursday

The X Factor Crowns Its First Winner

It's been a drama-filled first season of The X Factor, but in the end it came down to three: Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene squared off in Wednesday's final round of competition for the grand prize – a $5 million recording contract.Simon Cowell said the trio represented the most talented group of finalists of any singing competition he's done. But after Wednesday's performances, the head judge stood firmly behind his mentee, early frontrunner Amaro, saying the 19-year-old deserved to win following her duet with R. Kelly on "I Believe I Can Fly" and rendition of BeyoncĂ©'s "Listen."



The singer, who was at one point sent home and then brought back to the competition, was speechless."Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god!" was all she could get out through tears before falling to her knees to pray."America, thank you for giving this girl an opportunity," Simon said on her behalf. "She is a star."After attempting to sing, host Steve Jones tried to get an emotional Melanie to say a few words."Thank you so much!" she said. "I don't know what to say. Thank you. God is good."